Foundation in Spinal Manipulation
OMT Training will introduce the participants of OMT Spinal Manipulation into the theoretical and practical principals of using Manipulation techniques within a clinical setting for the treatment of a number of musculoskeletal conditions. Spinal manipulation has been proven to be highly effective in the treatment of many musculoskeletal conditions and is promoted by N.I.C.E the national institute of clinical excellence for the treatment of lower back pain. This bespoke training course has been delivered and taught to therapists worldwide, with the OMT team, training prestigious organisations such as the medical teams at Liverpool FC and Manchester City FC. The course will look at the most effective manipulative techniques as routinely used by therapists such as Osteopaths, Chiropractors and Physiotherapists with within clinical settings. The course will give students a sound background of knowledge and skill to confidently use OMT Spinal Manipulation techniques within their own practice. This course has been fully underwritten by Balens Insurance and students who participate will be able to gain insurance to use manipulative techniques within their own practice.
At the completion of OMT Spinal Manipulation, students will be able to:
- Discuss current best evidence relating to the use of High Velocity Thrust (HVT) thrust techniques.
- Describe risks and benefits of HVT thrust techniques as applicable to each region of the spine.
- Describe absolute and relative contraindications of HVT thrust techniques.
- Discuss evidence supporting the use and interpretation of clinical tests, Quadrant testing, Slump testing, Straight leg Raise (SLR).
- Discuss the rationale for the use of HVT thrust techniques.
- Describe and demonstrate spinal positioning and locking in different regions of the spine necessary to ensure patient comfort, safety and the effective delivery of HVT thrust techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the delivery of HVT thrust techniques such lift techniques, prone, side lying and supine techniques.
This Course will give students the following:
- 16 hours of face to face teaching
- 16 hours pre-reading information
- Total time 32 hours CPD
- Continued assessment throughout the course
- 30-45 mins written competency test for all students
- Safe, Sound and effective background in the use of OMT Spinal Manipulation
- OMT Spinal Manipulation will offer participants a fantastic new skill base with which they can use within their clinical practice.
- Discuss scientific evidence for the use of manipulation techniques
- Discuss current research for the use of Manipulation.
- Relate the use of Manipulation to the treatment of acute and chronic pain, and for a number of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Give students a high level of safety, clinical competence and overall the confidence to use manipulation techniques.
Spinal Manipulative techniques for the following spinal sections:
Cervical Thoracic Junction (C7-T1)
Thoracic Spine (T1-T12)
Thoracic Lumbar Junction (T12-L1)
Lumbar Spine (L1-S1)
Note - HVT to OA, AA, C1-C6 and SIJ are not covered over this four-day spinal manipulation course. Techniques for cervical mobilisation and articulation along with active and passive examination for the cervical spine will be covered.
- This course requires ALL students to receive and administer manipulation
- Students should NOT attend this course if there is any reason that prevents FULL participation
- This course is NOT suitable for participants who are pregnant
- A health screening form will be supplied once registration is confirmed. This form MUST be completed and brought with you on the course, and this form will be kept confidential.
- Course handbooks will be provided, and the content of the handbook will be underpinned by a structured PowerPoint presentation by the lecturers
- Students will be expected to take extra notes regarding areas and techniques that will require more specific explanation or detailed clarification
- The handbook and PowerPoints are solely to be used as an aide memoire; the lecturers will adapt the content of the course depending on the student's backgrounds or therapeutic discipline
- Students are ADVISED to refresh their knowledge of relevant anatomy and physiology prior to attending the course. If students fail to show the required level of knowledge they may be asked to leave the course
The course is suitable for the following professions;
- Osteopaths / Student Osteopaths
- Physiotherapists / Student Physiotherapists
- Physical Therapists / Student Physical Therapists
- Sports Therapists / Student Sports Therapists
- Chiropractors / Student Chiropractors
- Sports & Remedial Massage Therapists
- And other healthcare providers (please contact for eligibility)
As an Allied health professional (Physiotherapist, Osteopath or Chiropractor) these skills should be automatically added to your current insurance to practice with no additional cost, but please check with your insurer. Non-Allied health professionals such as Sports Therapists, Sports Massage Therapists and Manual Therapists from different backgrounds can still gain full public liability cover to use these techniques within their clinics. You may be required to take out an additional policy specifically for manipulative techniques and we work with a number of UK based insurers such as BGi.uk Insurance who can provide full cover (between £1million and £5million cover) for a minimum additional costs.
OMT Training has been developed to allow access to high quality training to all in the manual therapy industry. We hope that you find all of our courses interesting, informative and above all lots and fun to do. We all feel that learning has to be fun. Rest assured, after the fun you will leave us having added a new skill that you can apply in a very safe and logical manner to all of your patients.
Jimmy has 10 years’ experience teaching in the health and fitness industry. He initially graduated with a BSc Sports & Exercise Science and also completed the BTEC sports and remedial massage diploma at the London School of Sports Massage. He is now a fully qualified and registered Osteopath and prides himself on transferring the knowledge gained from various sectors onto others.
Giles has worked within health and fitness for over 10 years; having started off with qualifications in personal training, strength and conditioning, he progressed into medical acupuncture and then completed a 5-year degree in Osteopathy with the College of Osteopaths. Giles graduated with awards in clinical distinction and special achievement, as a strong structural osteopath he combines rehabilitation exercises and multiple techniques within his treatments and has worked with patients from office workers to international athletes.
|Event End Date||04-11-2018|
|Registration Start Date||04-12-2017|
|Cut off date||02-11-2018|